What’s your disability superpower? – 5 Cambridge alumni reveal theirs

“Given the right circumstances, being different is a superpower” – Greta Thunberg’s fantastic response to people being critical of her autism. To mark today being International Day of People with Disabilities, we celebrate alumni thriving in a variety of jobs who kindly share what they think their superpower is…

Niki Wood

Profession: Lead International Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Adviser

Organisation: Government Partnerships International, Stabilisation Unit

I’m often told I have an eidetic memory for conversation and written word. I can recall a discussion verbatim, and never have notes when giving talks! Often it’s considered a professional habit as I can’t always make notes when interviewing vulnerable beneficiaries of aid efforts, but actually like many with mobility issues it’s because my hands don’t always work – I’ve learned to rely on my memory for days when I can’t type or write, or may not be able to hold notes to read from. I certainly think it’s a superpower, and one valued by my team.

Shona Ray Ferguson

Profession: Knowledge Lawyer

Organisation: Farrer & Co

Disability: Lung condition and M.E.

I think my disability superpower might be empathy, because I’m now able to understand others’ experiences on a much deeper level and connect with them in a way I couldn’t before I became ill.

Ceri Smith

Profession: Director

Organisation: UK Government Investments

Disability: Multiple Sclerosis

Having a diagnosis of MS helped make me a much better manager and leader. It made me realise there was more to life than work, and that perspective allowed me to step back from micromanaging my team. Because I have a variable condition I need to focus on building a team that can function well without me – so for me, leadership is not about creating ‘followership’ but about creating new leaders who can step up. 

Nadine Drummond

Profession: Journalist/Filmmaker

Organisation: Brawta Films (my own company)

Disability: Dyspraxia

My disability is invisible and having to live in the shadows of normality I have learned to be empathetic, walk in another’s shoes. This has paid dividends in my work. I tell stories that have changed and saved thousands of lives.

Jennie Flint

Profession: Senior Commercialisation Associate

Organisation: Cambridge Enterprise Ltd

My disability superpower is being super organised! Arranging all my appointments, managing repeat prescriptions and making sure I get enough rest each day means I have to be really on top of things to fit everything in.

For advice on disability and careers, head to our webpages here: http://www.careers.cam.ac.uk/disability-support