Meet our newest careers advisers!

We’re delighted to share the career stories of our three newest careers advisers! Read why they love their roles and what they specialise in

Sonali Shukla

What I love about being a careers adviser…

The best thing about career advising is the real and tangible impact I can make on a client’s life. It is incredibly rewarding to see how a student’s outlook can change after an appointment or workshop, and I find it very motivating to hear how an interaction with the Careers Service has helped a client along the way. An added side benefit for me is learning from my clients. I love learning about all the amazing projects, extracurriculars and cutting-edge research that Cambridge students and postdocs participate in.

My career journey

I have a PhD in astrophysics from Vanderbilt University, which included a year as a pre-doctoral fellow at Caltech. After two years as a postdoctoral researcher, I served as Assistant Director at the University of Maryland advising physics students and developing novel education and outreach programs, particularly to increase diversity in the physical sciences. I also have experience in public engagement, most recently at the Institute of Astronomy and as the Public Engagement Coordinator, both at the University of Cambridge.

My specialisms

• Computer Science degrees
  • Data Science
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Electronics work
  • Engineering work and degrees
  • Information Technology
  • Maths work and degrees
  • Physics work and degrees
  • Electrical Engineering

I also cover: Academia – Sciences, Actuarial work, Chemical Engineering, Chemical jobs, Chemistry degrees, Civil Service – Scientific, Science Publishing, Science Communication

Emily Packer

I am inspired by the clients I work with every day. Sometimes people are making huge decisions about their future and to get to support that process is a privilege. There is enormous satisfaction to be gained from supporting someone with an application, interview or new opportunity – as well as offering guidance and coaching on what makes a fulfilling career. I also get the opportunity to research the labour market and speak to recruiters at leading organisations to get direct insight to share with clients – which satisfies my research interests and supports clients even further.

My career journey

I read a Masters in English and Culture at university before undertaking the postgraduate Diploma in Careers Guidance and Development and later, the Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice. I was awarded with Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy in 2018 and am a registered careers practitioner with the Career Development Institute.

Throughout my career I have organised sector-specific careers conferences, panels and recruitment simulations to support students to discover their career ambitions. Before joining the Careers Service at the University of Cambridge, I was the Careers Adviser for Plymouth Business School and Plymouth School of Law, Criminology and Government where I was awarded the institutional student-voted award for ‘Championing Excellence in Career Development’.

Practising in the careers guidance and development sector for most of my career, I’ve worked with a range of clients in colleges and Higher Education, specialising in careers guidance, recruitment processes and employability skills development. Throughout my career I have worked closely with recruiters, employers and the academic community to develop best practice in careers work within her institutions. I specialise in supporting clients with their career journey.

My specialisms

• Management Consultancy
  • Entrepreneurship
  • City Jobs
  • Actuarial work
  • Management Services
  • Management Studies degrees
  • Business Schools
  • Own Business

I also cover: Accountancy; Banking; Management; History and Philosophy of Science

Lucy Romijn

I really enjoy seeing such a variety of students who all have very different interests, motivations and experiences. Having the time to listen to them, enable them explore what’s possible after their course, support them to articulate the value of their experiences and to take their next steps towards their career goals is really rewarding, and no two days or appointments are ever the same.

My career journey

I read Sociology at the University of Bristol and spent three years teaching adult and 16-19 learners in a Further Education college. I became a Careers Adviser in 2016, where I predominantly worked with current university students across Life Science, Health and Social Sciences courses and delivered careers guidance in schools and colleges across the Bristol region as part of the university’s widening participation strategy. Before joining the Careers Service, I coordinated widening participation projects in the Cambridge Admissions Office. I hold a postgraduate diploma in Careers Guidance.

My specialisms

• Academia – Sciences
  • Archive work
  • Art History
  • Commercial Art, Auction Houses
  • Don’t Knows – Science
  • Heritage Management
  • History and Philosophy of Science
  • Library work
  • Life Sciences – Biochemistry work and degrees, Bioinformatics, Biological work, Biotechnology, Forensic Science, Genetics, Neuroscience, Pathology, Pharmacology, Physiology
  • Medicine
  • Museum work
  • Patent work
  • Psychology work
  • Science Communication
  • Veterinary Medicine

I also cover: Plant Sciences; Psychotherapy and Counselling; Publishing, Science; Zoology

Learn more about our team of 12 careers advisers and book a 1:1 remote appointment with them anytime via our website