Exploring Impactful Learning in the Real World: Tata Global Internship Journey with KP

Tata internship blogPadmanabhan Koduvayoor Parasuraman, known as KP, embarked on the Tata Global Internship as a part of his MBA program during the summer. He reflects on his experience and how being a part of the Tata Group has opened doors to exciting opportunities for his future career

KP is a member of the MBA Class of 2023 at Judge Business School. With over seven years of experience at Deloitte Consulting, primarily in the energy sector, he felt a calling to explore his passions for sustainability and media management. This led him to Judge Business School and, subsequently, to the Tata Global Internship program. 

What Motivated Me to Apply for the Tata Global Internship?

The sheer range of possibilities. The Tata Global Internships Team presented a comprehensive array of options within the global internship program, including opportunities to work with Tata Power on sustainability strategy, their consulting division TCS on IT strategy projects, or their hotel arm, IHCL on real estate projects etc. The possibilities seemed limitless, catering to both familiar roles and entirely new domains. I chose to apply for projects at Tata Play, their streaming portfolio, as it aligned with my interests in technology and media. Additionally, I pursued a project at Tata Power to further explore sustainability, an area where I believed I could make a meaningful impact. The Tata Group, a well-established and trusted brand, spans across numerous industries, offering a diverse range of options for an equally diverse cohort of interns. 

As a tech enthusiast with no prior corporate finance experience, applying my MBA knowledge to real-life situations and presenting my projections to prospective client’s satisfaction was a gratifying experience. 

Unforgettable Learnings and Experiences During the Internship

Throughout my internship, the Tata Global Internship team left no stone unturned to ensure a seamless experience. From organizing logistics during my two-month stint in Mumbai to immersive field trips that introduced us to Tata’s rich history, diverse portfolio, and social initiatives in India, every detail was meticulously planned. Special commendation goes to Ankna, Aparna, and Prathmesh, whose dedication transformed my internship into a remarkable journey. The program assembled a diverse cohort hailing from schools worldwide, encompassing a mix of undergraduates and postgraduates. This diversity facilitated peer learning, enriching our collective experience. 

The four-day immersion trip took us on a journey across multiple Tata companies, including the Tata Chemicals’ Innovation Centre and Tata Motors- Harrier assembly plant. This provided us with a unique opportunity to engage with leaders within the Tata Group and gain insights into Tata’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) and Sustainability initiatives across their various companies. 

The combination of meaningful work and a profound sense of purpose propelled me to give my best every day at Tata Power, knowing that my efforts contributed to the greater good.

At Tata Power, my project mentor wholeheartedly supported my learning journey. They helped me establish valuable connections and encouraged me to explore side projects aligned with my interests. One of my proudest moments occurred while working on a project that involved forecasting project values and viability for Tata Power’s offerings to major corporate clients pursuing Renewable Energy commitments (RE100 pledge). As a tech enthusiast with no prior corporate finance experience, applying my MBA knowledge to real-life situations and presenting my projections to prospective client’s satisfaction was a gratifying experience. 

Shaping My Future Career Path

With over seven years of exposure to the corporate world, particularly in consulting, where clients vary widely, it’s often challenging to find a company that prioritizes social and environmental well-being over profits. Tata’s core values, rooted in over a century of history, emphasize giving back to society and making the world a better place. A remarkable 66% of the group’s profits are dedicated to funding social ventures, social investments, and charitable causes. Furthermore, group companies are dedicated to initiatives related to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) and Sustainability, aligning with the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). 

It has solidified my passion for sustainability and media management while reinforcing the importance of pursuing meaningful work that aligns with my values.

The combination of meaningful work and a profound sense of purpose propelled me to give my best every day at Tata Power, knowing that my efforts contributed to the greater good. This sense of fulfilment is something I aspire to maintain in my future career. Currently, I am working closely with the Tata Global Internships team to continue my journey with the Tata Group beyond the Global Internship program. They are assisting me in finding a role that aligns with my interests and experience, reinforcing my commitment to contributing to a better world through my work. 

Tata Global Internship experience has been nothing short of transformative, enabling me to apply classroom knowledge to real-world scenarios and witness the immediate impact of my work. It has solidified my passion for sustainability and media management while reinforcing the importance of pursuing meaningful work that aligns with my values. As I look ahead, I am excited about the opportunities that lie in store within the Tata Group and remain committed to making a positive difference in the world through my career. 

Having recently completed the internship I’m thrilled to recommend the experience. This program is accessible to both graduate and undergraduate students of all nationalities, offering a remarkable opportunity for diverse growth within multiple sectors.

The Tata Global Internships scheme is open for applications now. Meet them in Cambridge on October 18th, register here.